From: Adrian Michel (michel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-15 09:17:56

> > I am currently using MS VC++ 6 and their implementation of
> > std::fstream also lacks Unicode support for file names. I am
> > not sure about .net though.
>
> Standard C++ does not require any std::basic_fstream ctor which takes a
> wchar_t const *, and such a ctor is neither available in VC++ 6, 7, or
> 7.1.

This is where a template version of boost::filesystem::path would have
helped :) Don't get me wrong - like many other developers, I appreciate all
the work you guys are putting into this amazing boost library.

I am curious though, is this a non-issue on platforms other than Windows?

> However, all these implementations do have an undocumented ctor
> accepting a FILE*, so if you really need it, you can use _tfopen( ) (or
> _wfopen( ) for wide characters only) to gain a FILE*, and pass it to the
> ctor of std::basic_[i/o]fstream.
> But you have to remember that this is
> non-standard and non-portable, and works only for VC++ Standard C++
> library.

Thanks for the info. That's what I will be using for now.

Adrian