From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-16 05:27:20

> auto_link looks good but I tripped on this because it needs a prior
>
> #include <boost/config.hpp> // for BOOST_MSVC definition
>
> and the "not all defined" clause does not contain a #error message to give
some
> clue that no #pragma ... is going to happen :-(

OK, a bug I'll have to fix that.

> but looks promising otherwise.
>
> I am also unclear if you are suggesting a 'standard' location for the
library
> file(s)
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib aka
>
> $(VCInstallDir)lib

Eventually bjam will have an install routine to fix that, otherwise you need
to make sure that the lib's are in your compiles lib search path (you can
add extra paths in your IDE).

> Also I got a file rather strangely called:
>
> libUnit_test_library_vc71_ssd.lib
>
> Starting with lib_ rather than lib might be more readable?
>
> BOOST_LIB_PREFIX: "lib" for static libraries otherwise ""
>
> I don't see why static libraries are prefixed? MS convention?

It would help a great deal if I could find the time to finish the docs as
the issue has come up a lot lately...

The naming convention used is chosen to interface with the jam build
system - that's it, no other reason - and when Rene's install routine
arrives then the naming will change again...

John.