From: carlos pizano (carlospizano_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-22 23:31:19

> In the article. Did you read it? I hope I don't need to provide the
> link again.

I did. It is good info. IMHO you should state there that your technique
does not need /EHa. People like me tend to believe their compilers/books
too much.

>> I hope I can get the attention of the maintainer of boost.test and
>> that he/she feels like thinking.
> ...but there's no need to patronize.

I did not meant to come across like that. Sorry.

Now that I get that your technique is all about JIT Debugging, the
problem is that there are two possible translators in execution_monitor:

void
ms_se_trans_func( unsigned int id, _EXCEPTION_POINTERS* /* exps */ )
{
    throw ms_se_exception( id );
}

void
ms_se_forward_func( unsigned int /* id */, _EXCEPTION_POINTERS* /* exps
*/ )
{
    throw;
}

Which one is used depends on the bool catch_system_errors, if true the
first one is used. That first one is not about JIT debugging because
there is an enclosing catch block:

int execution_monitor::execute( bool catch_system_errors, int timeout )
{

        ..... lot of code here removed .....
        ..... Eventually calls the user code inside a try{} block

    catch( std::exception const& ex )
      { detail::report_error(cpp_exception_error, ..); }

    catch( detail::ms_se_exception const& ex )
      { detail::report_ms_se_error( ex.id() ); }

    catch( execution_exception const& )
        { throw; }

    catch( ... )
      { detail::report_error(cpp_exception_error, "unknown type" ); }

}

for reference:

static void report_error(error_code ec, c_string_literal msg1,
c_string_literal msg2 )
{
    static char buf[REPORT_ERROR_BUFFER_SIZE];
    buf[0] = '\0';
    std::strncat( buf, msg1, sizeof(buf)-1 );
    std::strncat( buf, msg2, sizeof(buf)-1-std::strlen(buf) );
    throw execution_exception( ec, buf );
}

See my problem? the code expects to catch ms_se_exception. Looks like an
error under /EHs.

Also my confusion was from thinking that your technique was paired with
the last catch(...) when is not.

Maybe I am too dense but I see this code trying to do both JIT debugging
and unwind/report at the same time... I just don't get it.

Maybe Gennadiy can help me here.

CPU