From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-23 07:44:02

John Maddock wrote:
> I'm experiencing a number of newly occurring build related problems:
>
> 1) The regression tests: the compiler_status program is failing to find the
> regression test output files. The problem is that at some point the default
> build location has shifted from ./bin to something like
> $(TOP)/bin/boost/$(SUBDIR). This looks like a reasonable change but
> compiler_status is still looking in ./bin.

This is strange. Did you remove the old binaries and rebuild
the compiler_status executable? With a fresh checkout, compiler_status
works fine for me.

> Note that my use of
> compiler_status is slightly unusual in that I have a shell script (under
> cygwin) that lets me do things like:
>
> run_tests type_traits

I used to do something similar for the Spirit regression tests.
However, that doesn't work for me any longer. It would be very
helpful if that would be possible to do again. I think that
feature is generally useful for every maintainer of a Boost
library.

> and the script will cd into libs/type_traits/test and run the tests from
> there, and then generate a set of type_traits specific html tables. This
> has now stopped working since the build system change. If I've understood
> this correctly, then I suspect that some of our regression testers are
> actually generating tables for old "stale" results that happen to be sitting
> on their hard drive rather than the new "fresh" results that been silently
> moved to the new directory structure.

At least for the Linux tests, this is not the case. I used
a fresh checkout after I saw the changes to the build system,
there should not be any stale results.

Regards,