From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-30 19:48:21

At 07:56 AM 9/30/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> At 07:36 AM 9/29/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> >Anthony Williams <anthony.williamsNOSPAM_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> >We could check them in as binary; as long as they don't change too
>> >often they won't take up lots of space in the repository.
>>
>> That strikes me as likely to have some unintended consequence.
>
>Like what? Extra file space usage and literal preservation of cr/lf
>characters is just about the only effect of -kb

We have in the past used scripts which inspected the contents of CVS
"Entries" files, and altered behavior if a file was binary. Such scripts
would have to know that certain types aren't really binary. Seems easier
just to fix the problem with the files, rather than flagging them as
binary.

And of course when a binary file changes, it is much more expensive in
terms of CVS repository disk space.

--Beman