From: Guillaume Melquiond (gmelquio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-01 10:12:01

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Beman Dawes wrote:

> In getting ready to switch the Boost web site hosting to SourceForge,
> there is an Apache configuration file (.htaccess) in
> /home/groups/b/bo/boost/htdocs that has some rewrite rules that look to
> me to need changing (see below).
>
> My knowledge of Apache is next to nil, but it looks like these should be
> removed. Is that correct? Can the entire .htaccess file just be removed?
>
> --Beman
>
> RewriteEngine on
>
> RewriteRule ^(.+)\.cpp$
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/boost/boost/$1.cpp?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> [R,L]

I think this previous line should be kept. It allows the documentation
which directly links to an example file in a Boost local installation to
work on the website. I'm not sure that my sentence makes sense so I will
give an exemple.

Let's say you have a file <boost>/libs/mylib/example.cpp and a document
that has an hyperlink to this file. The documentation would not work
anymore on the website since this file doesn't exist (only the
documentation is on the website). However, thanks to the rewriting, the
server will send the cvs file which does exist.

The same kind of rule would be needed for .hpp files and other extensions.

However, if you directly put the content of the whole distribution on the
website (instead of the documentation alone), no rewriting is needed and
you can suppress access files. Was that your intent?

> RewriteRule ^libs/(.+) http://www.boost.org/libs/$1 [R,L]

I don't understand the purpose of this one. So I can't say if it's useful
or not.

Regards,

Guillaume