From: Alan.Griffiths_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-10-01 10:14:52

If it isn't covered by the standard then the rules in the standard do not
cover it.

> > (And a quick search of MSDN doesn't return any promising
> hits.) Do you have
> > a reference?
>
> Nope. But I'd consider it simply "a bug" if they don't do it right.

You might consider it so - but that is subjective.

> http://www.google.com/groups?th=f98e4fa7052aa25b
> (Subject: __attribute__((cleanup(function)) versus try/finally)
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?th=c41b1edf07790c28
> (Subject: Exception handling... it's time to fix the standard)
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?th=94e63c7613727eec
> (Subject: std0X::expected_exception<T>())
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?th=236c96ebdd0891c3
> (Subject: Re: std0X::expected_exception<T>() [repost])

Lots of bits of arguement - hardly a clearly made case. What I get from
this is that you want a mechanism available at the throw site to determine
whether an exception will be handled. This mechanism could be used in two
ways:

  o by the programmer (who might decide to handle the error
    differently). I don't like code that depends on its
    environment in subtle ways - so this doesn't convince me.
    If, as a developer, that is what I want then I'd report
    the error using a callback.

  o by the runtime environment (which calls "unexpected"
    without *any* cleanup). While the program as a whole
    is clearly broken in this case, this breaks cleanup
    guarantees that exist between the throw point and the
    top of the stack. I prefer the existing behaviour.

In short, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve - and whatever
that might be you are introducing new problems for the developer.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

--
Alan Griffiths
http://www.octopull.demon.co.uk/