From: Dave Gomboc (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-02 00:29:04

> > Maybe we should add -fwritable-strings for GCC in Boost.Build unless

> > <optimization>size is set?
>
> In my experience the links are slow only if -g is used. I
> think it should be sufficient to add -fwritable-strings only
> for debug builds. Ralf

I have a (non-boost) source file that I need to use -fwritable-strings
even without -g. Mind you, it has about 6.5x10^5 string literals in it.
;-)

I'd still like to get confirmation from the original poster
(ben.young_at_[hidden]) that using the -fwritable-strings switch will
actually solve his lengthy compile times, but if it does, sure, Dave's
proposed change to the Boost.Build setting works for me. If it doesn't,
hopefully Ben's company will contribute their patch to GCC.

Dave