From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-04 20:13:50

Dave Abrahams

>Of course I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the
>correct approach for deserializing a collection is to deserialize
>each element and then copy it into the collection with push_back. Am
>I missing something crucial?

That what the current implemenation does. in order to have an object
to push_back one has to be created on the stack, and deserialized.
Hence the question arose regarding a default private constructor
(which should be "public" to deserialiaiton).

There are other plausible interpretations of what serializaton would mean
for a collection but the currently implemented one seems the
most obvious to me. Its only "quirk" is that it required construction
of new elements which up until now has been unnecessary for
deserialization in other situations. That's why we were thrown a little off.

Robert Ramey