From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-07 09:24:38

Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Maybe, what you're after is moving the "try"/"catch" from pointer "load"
>>> into serialization lib, and making pointer "load" accept uninitialized
>>> pointer?
>>
>> Yes, exactly. That's another way of putting it.
>
> Then, I see the point. You've simplifying the work for user when he's about
> to customize pointer loading. That's good.

I hate to do this, but I feel I ask whether if the user supplies
inplace construction, the resulting pointer can be delete'd (since the
class may have an overloaded operator new/delete). I think you may
have to use inplace destruction plus operator delete. That could
make it dangerous to use auto_ptr, for example.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting