From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-11 18:29:58

Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Brian McNamara wrote:

>>> You should name that
>>>
>>> typedef result_of<plus(int, double)>::type result;
>>>
>>> instead. :-)
>>
>> There is a smiley, but seriously, if you did
>>
>> struct op_plus {
>> template <class R> struct result;
>> template <class F, class A1, class A2> struct result<F(A1,A2)> {
>> typedef typename result_of_plus<A1,A2>::type type;
>> };
>> };
>> // etc.
>>
>> then
>>
>> typedef result_of< op_plus(int, double) >::type result;
>>
>> would truly work. (Names like op_plus are just used as tags which
>> stand for the corresponding C++ operators.)
>
> Or even:
>
> struct plus;
>
> template<class A1, class A2> struct result_of<plus(A1, A2)>
> {
> // result_of_plus<A1, A2> goes here
> };
>
> struct plus
> {
> template<class A1, class A2> typename result_of<plus(A1, A2)>::type
> operator()(A1 const & a1, A2 const & a2) { return a1 + a2; }
> };
>
> Which one is more "correct" is not clear. It's better to leave result_of
> unspecialized if your wonderful TR1 implementation always does the right
> thing. It's better to specialize it otherwise, since the nested result<>
> forwarding sometimes "breaks" SFINAE.
>
> Let's just hope that one day the proper decltype() will arrive and render
> the issue moot.

Indeed! I hope that will be soon. In the meantime...

<<< OT: I just couldn't believe the longevity of tools such as VC6 for instance.
I'm quite sure bind will still support VC6 for a long time still, right? I'm now
in a crossroads on whether or not to leave old crippled compilers behind on
new code being developed. I wonder what other people are thinking regarding
this? My strategy has always been: develop using fairly conforming compilers
and do the port later. But that "port later" thing takes too much energy! >>>

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com