From: David Richardson (dgr24_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-15 11:52:18

Deane Yang wrote:

> c) Automatic generation of new types when two different quantities
> are multiplied or divided

I'm a bit confused how this would work (maybe because I've been
thinking about this as a physics problem). Do we just pick an
arbtrary rule for the production of new types/units?

Then the users have to know that rule, or they might accidentaly
specify a unit that corresponds to the multiplication of two other
units without knowing (or intending) to do it.

> (An aside for pure mathematicians only: this is basically implementing
> the category of 1-dimensional real vector spaces, and the dualization
> and tenor product functors. Is it known to others that "units analysis"
> could be described like this?)

It's not known to me :)

Dave