From: Deane Yang (deane_yang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-15 12:52:38

David Richardson wrote:
> Deane Yang wrote:
>
>> c) Automatic generation of new types when two different quantities
>> are multiplied or divided
>

> I'm a bit confused how this would work (maybe because I've been thinking
> about this as a physics problem). Do we just pick an arbtrary rule for
> the production of new types/units?

What I meant here but did not express well is a feature that I think is
common to all dimensions/units library proposed so far, namely that
when you divide a length by a time, the result has a type associated
with "length / time". In other words, the library does not need to
explicitly define units or dimensions for velocity, momentum, or energy.
These would be automatically derived from the more fundamental
dimensions (mass, length, time).