From: Christophe Meessen (christophe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-18 09:17:59

Hello,

I had some trouble to build boost on windows. It compiled nicely but I
could not compile any program using thread stuff.
This is because boost thread is compiled to be a DLL and in vc7.1 STL is
compiled as static library. The compiler then complains that the DLL
exceptions declared in thread inherit from a non DLL exception declared
in STL. Beside I wanted a static library. So I hacked around and managed
to compile a static library. But I had to desable the on_thread_exit call.

Now I try to build boost on linux. Here also the building process is
very difficult. I want static libraries optimized for speed. How do I do
that ? It don't really see the benefit in using tools like bjam if it
makes it so complicate to build boost with a given configuration. There
is a problem with the documentation also.
Beside on unix there is also no 'install' target.

Even worse. Now that I have compiled using the default -sTOOLS=gcc, when
I try to compile my code using thread I get the message :
mutex.hpp:17:5: #error Thread support is unavailable!
This is getting unpleasant. I don't remember having such problems when
working with 1.28.

Can someone please help me getting a working linux implementation ? I
am using g++ 3.2.2.
I would like to have a static and optimised library. Why is it so
difficult to get that ?

--
Bien cordialement,
Ch. Meessen