From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-18 11:56:35

[2003-10-18] Christophe Meessen wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I had some trouble to build boost on windows. It compiled nicely but I
>could not compile any program using thread stuff.

Most of the problems people have when using the built Boost libraries is
that they tend not to use the same options to compile their programs as
those used when the libraries are built. (don't know if this is your case
though)

[cut]

>Now I try to build boost on linux. Here also the building process is
>very difficult. I want static libraries optimized for speed. How do I do
>that ? It don't really see the benefit in using tools like bjam if it
>makes it so complicate to build boost with a given configuration. There
>is a problem with the documentation also.
>Beside on unix there is also no 'install' target.

Like John and Dave mentioned earlier... I'm working on making this easier
;-)

But to specify different options to build you can:

    bjam "-sBUILD=<optimization>speed" ...

..for example. Or..

    bjam "-sBUILD=release" ...

>Even worse. Now that I have compiled using the default -sTOOLS=gcc, when
>I try to compile my code using thread I get the message :
>mutex.hpp:17:5: #error Thread support is unavailable!
>This is getting unpleasant. I don't remember having such problems when
>working with 1.28.

Did you specify "<threading>multi" in your Jamfile? Or are you not using
bjam to build your code? If not, did you specify "-pthread" to GCC?

HTH.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq