From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-21 20:20:16

Ross MacGregor:
> (see "Thoughts on partial_random_shuffle" thread) that has generated
> some dicussion on creating a boost::algorithm library.
>
> Beman Dawes wrote:
> > There are a couple of other algorithm oriented libraries in the
> > boost-sandbox CVS in directories libs/sequence_algo and
> > libs/string_algo. There is also a libs/linear_sort.
> >
> > Perhaps we should have boost/algorithm and libs/algorithm directories.
> > boost/algorithm would could eventually contain headers like
> > partial_random_shuffle.hpp, linear_sort.hpp, and string.hpp.
> >
> > Likewise, libs/algorithm would have sub-directories
> > partial_random_shuffle, linear_sort, and string. Each of these
> > sub-directories would contain the usual doc, example, test directories.
> > Or if the library is really small, just the files themselves.
> >
> > That way we have a coherent organization for smallish algorithm
> > libraries even though development is a separate effort for each
library.

> > --Beman

I certainly think it is a great idea. Not so long ago we made some initial
documentation
for the sequence_algo stuff that tried to merge them all into one library.

> The question is how do we proceed with this idea? Can we have a formal
> review for boost::algorithm without any content or just make it an
> suggestion for the current algorithms under review?

Well, for the string algortihms, I don't the word "smallish" fits very well.
It might be fine to
release it on its own.

regards

Thorsten