From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 03:20:39

Pavol Droba wrote:
> Whats is the problem with the current proposal? It declares three variants for each
> algorithm:
>
> 1. _copy version, the result is copied to an output iterator
> - This variant, has least requirement on the input.
> - It is semantical equivalent of algorithms in STL
> - has no side effects

Don't know if it's worth the effort. This is probably behind the line
I'd draw for a string-algorithm-library, but it doesn't hurt if it's there.

> 2. _copy version, the result is a copy of the input
> - Allows chaining
> - Has more requirements on the input-type, because it is used for result
> - has no side effects
>
> 3. inplace version. Input is modified
> - optimized implementation
> - returns void, to avoid a possibiliy of missuse
> - Has strongest requiremnts on the input type

Having the inplace version returning void is OK for me, although I lost
a bit track of this thread since I missed the fact that this is now your
"official" current proposal :)

 From a convenience POV, I would still prefer the copy-version to not
have a suffix, but that's probably just a matter of taste. My main
concern was safe use which is now addressed. Thanks.

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology