From: Philippe A. Bouchard (philippeb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-23 23:39:37

Greetings,

    The documentation of shifted_ptr<> is in progress, the interface is
going to look like shared_ptr<> for easier intergration into Boost. The
headers and source files will not compile in the following archive because
they are currently getting rewritten.

    I am going to detach collector_traits.hpp from shifted_ptr<> because it
is mainly an external proposal which could also work with shared_ptr<>. I
personnally like collector_traits<> because ownership could easily be
implemented. I have also decided to remove the shifted_impl<> singleton
which was emulating a simple garbage collcetor. As I understand it only
confuses reviewers for nothing and it is already implemented by other
shared_ptr<> authors. But I am going to keep offset.hpp because it
simplifies a lot arithmetics on pointers at the developer's discretion.

    You can find complete documentation about: Introduction, Best Practices,
Free Functions -> reinterpret_cast (proposal for shared_ptr at the same
time) & Example. Other areas were simply copied from the shared_ptr
documention... until the synopsis of shifted_ptr is terminated. For now it
can give you a better introduction to shifted_ptr than it was before (former
index.html renamed to annex.html). You can find the file in
shifted_ptr/libs/smart_ptr/doc/index.html of the following archive:

    For a quicker overview you can browse by the following file an
incomplete html version of the documentation: