From: Joerg Walter (jhr.walter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-25 14:49:10

Hi,

Kresimir Fresl, Michael Stevens and I have been discussing, if we should try
to found a new sf
project for ublas maintenance and extensions.

First some reasons, why I believe that's a good idea:

- More maintainers

I'm currently responsible for merging and testing all bug fixes, preparing
pre-releases (available in form of .zip files at
http//groups.yahoo.com/group/ublas-dev/files) and committing to Boost CVS.
This work could be split and maintenance wouldn't depend on my availability.

- Playground for extensions

Toon Knapen, Kresimir Fresl and Karl Meerbergen have been working on
bindings to numerical libraries like LAPACK and others. These bindings could
be useful for ublas users even without Boost review.

Jonathan de Halleux has written a nice library
(http://iobind.sourceforge.net/) which offers a pretty complete interface
for ublas vector/matrix serialization.

I believe the process of developing and distributing such extensions could
be eased.

Now the open questions:

- Name of the new sf project

Currently I see two possible names for the new sf project. In the spirit of
boost::spirit we simply could call it ublas. Alternatively something like
boost-numeric-sig could be more appropriate.

- License

Should we require The Boost License for contributions? (Jonathan's iobind is
LGPL'ed IIRC).

- Dependency management

Which parts of boost could or should a separate (partial) distribution
contain?

Thanks for any advice,
Joerg