From: Cheenu Srinivasan (cheenu_srinivasan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 08:12:53

Thanks for the note. Thats bad news indeed as I am not at liberty to
upgrade the compiler on our production systems. However ... it's
boost.spirit that I am trying to use. Does it need all the MPL stuff?

Thanks.
Cheenu

>From: Christopher Currie <christopher_at_[hidden]>
>cheenu_srinivasan_at_[hidden]
>Subject: Re: boost 1.30.2 build failure with Sun Workshop 6 update 2 C++
>5.3
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:26:20 -0500
>
>Cheenu Srinivasan wrote:
>
>>I have been trying to build boost with the Sun Workshop compiler and
>>run into various build failure (see below). It build fine with g++.
>>Any ideas? Thanks.
>
>The Sun C++ compiler is believed to be severly broken w.r.t. templates,
>particularly in older releases. Many complex uses of templates will cause
>the compiler to assert in various places, and Boost::MPL is a real workout.
>
>Sun's official policy is to fix bugs in the most current version of their
>compiler, and back port fixes to previous releases based on demand. If you
>have a support contract with Sun, I encourage you to contact them for
>assistance in identifying the cause of these compiler failures, and getting
>patches released for older versions of their compiler.
>
>That said, I have met with limited success using selected libraries of
>boost with Sun CC, although many libraries continue to give it heartburn.
>To date I have been able to use bind, smart_ptr, and parts of thread.
>However, I have only been successful using the latest patches on Forte
>Developer 7 C++ 5.4. I haven't had access to Workshop 6u2 for six months,
>so I can't personally provide guidance on how to proceed.
>
>Good luck,
>Christopher

See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com