From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 22:50:31

> From: Scott Woods [mailto:scottw_at_[hidden]]
<snip>

> The goal of "abstraction for compile time that results in a
> function/functor call,..." is a damn good one. In everything I've
> tried in my library I have been scuttled by this "truth"; something
> recovered (marshalled) off a transport needs to be uniquely
> identifiable, I haven't been able to do better than variations
> of integer codes and that is *runtime*, i.e. the desirable
> benefits of compile-time dispatch do not seem to be achievable
> at the receive end of a marshalling process.
>
> So currently my library does not target that :-( If you have
> figured out some workaround then I will be throwing all my
> toys out of the cot...

I see what you mean. If the transport destination is multiplexed you need
to identify either the source or the specific destination by id.

Can't quite see why you would need an id if it was not multiplexed.

Could have a policy for generating the id... UUID, address, typeinfo,
none...

Or have I misunderstood?

Maybe I have, perhaps you are talking about the individually marshaled
attributes of a structure?

Regards,

Matt.