From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 18:19:52

Christopher Currie <christopher_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Cheenu Srinivasan wrote:
>> Thanks for the note. Thats bad news indeed as I am not at liberty to
>> upgrade the compiler on our production systems. However ... it's
>> boost.spirit that I am trying to use. Does it need all the MPL stuff?
>
> My initial investigation says no; someone who uses Spirit might know
> better. However, Spirit's power comes from its extensive use of
> templates, and the Sun C++ compiler just can't handle the complexity.
>
> This may change in the future, so I'd keep an eye on the Spirit website:
>
> http://spirit.sourceforge.net/
>
> Particularly the page in their documentation on portability:
>
> http://spirit.sourceforge.net/distrib/spirit_1_7_0/libs/spirit/doc/portability.html

Spirit does not need "all the MPL stuff" now. Actually, prior to 1.5, Spirit
does not use MPL at all. However, gradually Spirit is using more MPL
to simplify most template metaprogramming. Yet, even prior to Spirit's use
of MPL, all attempts to port to Sun's Forte has failed. I'm not sure if Sun
has improved the compiler since. I don't have access to the compiler, so a
possible port will have to be done by someone else.

<<< On a related note, would anyone be interested with a "Spirit Lite"
that does not have all the bells and whistles, compiles on more compilers,
and has a very frugal dependency to other libraries? >>>

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com