From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-30 13:24:05

> Personally I would prefer a fraction to a percentage.

Why? Message with percentage would look much more expressive:

a = 0.00023;
b = 0.00024;
BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE( a, b, 0.1 );

error in ... : difference between a(0.00023) and b(0.00024) exceed 0.1%
tolerance

> New names for this MACRO(s)?

These looks too long

> BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE_RELATIVE(real1, real2, fraction) (real1 - real2) /
> real1 < fraction

> and

> BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE_ABSOLUTE(real1, real2, difference) (real1 - real2)
> < difference

I still not sure we need special tool for absolute closeness check. One
thing though I do consider to add. It appears that many users of
BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE need in fact to check that the value is small or iow close
to zero with some tolerance. Relative closeness wouldn't work in this case
cause relative difference between any value and zero is 100%. I propose tool
that perform namely this kind of check:

BOOST_CHECK_SMALL( a, 1e-10 ) // checks |a| < 1e-10

I am not sure about the name though.

> perhaps

> Paul

Gennadiy.