From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-30 14:22:06

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>> > Basically I want to use int whereever posisble so I don't have to
>> > worry about signed to unsiged conversions. The fact that the standard
>> > library does so/allows just makes programming harder that it has to
>> > be.
>>
>> A tendency to use ints everywhere makes that a self-fulfilling
>> prophecy. You can turn on warnings to catch the problems. If you're
>> consistent about using unsigned for unsigned numbers, as with const,
>> you'll find that the actual cases where signed/unsigned conversions
>> need to be performed a much fewer.
>
> so where should I use unsigned?

It's somewhat of a religious issue, but I use unsigned integers
wherever I am representing a number that only makes sense when
positive, as in an index into an array, a size of a datatype, etc.
This is basically the same convention used by the standard libraries,
except where "old-fashioned" interfaces like getc() and string::npos
are concerned.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting