From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-03 17:40:52

"E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I agree with the theory. But we are talking about practical
> applications of basic guarantees in terms of exception safety. In
> practice, there seems to be no way to tell what generated an
> exception so in general, basic guarantees don't give exception
> safety?

That's like saying that const-correctness or the type system provide
no safety, because if your program goes on to invoke undefined
behavior, anything can happen despite your "careful" use of types.
Once the program crashes, it's crashed. If that crash happens to
manifest itself in a segfault, an exception, overwriting your hard
disk, or launching a missile, it changes nothing about the viability
of various programming techniques.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting