From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-21 13:20:41

At 09:54 AM 11/21/2003, Douglas Paul Gregor wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Usage would simply be:
>>
>> #include <boost/abi_prefix.hpp> // after all other includes
>> #include <boost/abi_suffix.hpp> // after all code
>>
>> Note that these additional headers don't have to be used. A Boost
>developer
>> would still be free choose the lengthier form above if that suited her
>> preferences. The two forms are functionally equivalent.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>This doesn't seem like a win to me, unless we think that the
>abi_prefix.hpp/abi_suffix.hpp headers might actually change. It's only
>saving 4 lines of boilerplate code per header.

Five. Don't forget the #include <boost/config.hpp>

True, it isn't a lot of lines of code. But it is removing two #ifdefs, and
that seems to me to be a worthwhile win when it comes to readability and
understandability of code.

I'm not wedded to the additional headers, but am definitely worried about
adding the clutter of #ifdefs to otherwise beautiful code.

--Beman