From: Hugo Duncan (hugoduncan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-25 10:30:28

AlisdairM wrote:

> Markus Werle <numerical.simulation_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> But then: why support it[Borland] anyway?

> Personally, I would be disappointed but could live with new boost
> libraries choosing not to support Borland if it is too taxing, although I
> am quite prepared to help port libraries I will be using <g>
>
> I would be disappointed to lose the use if libraries that are currently
> supported, at least before the new compiler ships.

I too would also be disappointed to lose the use of libraries
that are currently supported.

Over the last year or so we have built a large number of
libraries that depend on boost. It only takes one of the
boost libraries to drop Borland to force us to freeze
the version of boost that we use overall, so a boost
wide strategy for removing compiler support would be
appreciated.

While there are some issues that make a move from borland likely
(possible lack of future VCL development), any move is going to
take some time, so this a plea for at least some notice that
compilers will be dropped.

Hugo