From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-26 11:22:58

Markus Werle <numerical.simulation_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Markus Werle <numerical.simulation_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> OK, I give a chance to everyone:
>>>
>>> For every compiler: if 30 users answer this post
>>> and declare that they are really interested in
>>> Daixtrose to be boostified and that they have no chance
>>> to switch compilers within the next 2 years, then I will
>>> try to support that one.
>>>
>>> Otherwise it's Intel-C++-7.1/8.0 and gcc-3.4.
>>
>> Suit yourself. Be forewarned that the compilers supported may affect
>> the community's interest level. If you don't care about having lots
>> of users, you can certainly get by with that strategy.
>
> I see. Is it much better if MSVC-7.x (x>1) is added to the set of
> possible compilers?

I don't know, sorry.

> Which minimal set of the macros mentioned
> in the int_const_guidelines do you think
> is mandatory then?

None of them are mandatory. What macros are in there anyway? All I
see is BOOST_STATIC_CONSTANT.

> Probably I should take the same approach as loki, where there is a
> pure version and a portable version side by side, dispatched by
> BOOST_ETL_USE_PORTABLE_VERSION?

I wouldn't do that. I think maintenance is going to be much easier
if you use mostly portable constructs.

>> BTW, we have lots of libraries you can use to eliminate portability
>> hacks in your own code. For example, I have way fewer platform
>> headaches now that I use the MPL for all my metaprogramming jobs.
>
> I really want etl be based on boost::mpl as far as possible.
> (though I sometimes suffer under the brevity of the docs,
> a few more examples would help).

We're working on it.

> Is there a detailed documentation of all the mpl macros?

No. Ask questions and we'll try to answer.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/spirit/

> Or do you mean fusion
> of mpl and typetraits?
>
>> you could
>> make writing an expression template library seem easy.
>
> Let's say "cleaner in design". Easy assumes I already
> have learned all that is available.
>
> Markus
>

> P.S.: do you see any really bad design flaws in Daixtrose
> which should be avoided in etl?

Sorry, no time to review the design of daixtrose right now.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting