From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-01 20:33:21

Alberto Barbati wrote:

[snip]

>By the way, I believe that the UTF facet should be in a library separate
>from Serialization. What I could do if there is interest in this
>direction is to re-submit the UTF library with the UTF-8 facet only, so
>that it may be immediately available for the serialization library.
>Being smaller and more focused than the entire UTF library, it may be
>reviewed and hopefully approved quickly. In a second time, I might
>address the problems with the other facets and include them in a
>possibly subsequent release of the library.

>What do you think?

The separation of this functionality has been suggested before
by Beman Dawes.

As I noted before, this is one of several modules of the serialization
library which should be separated out. I've got them made
"good enough" for the purpose here but it would be worth
taking them "the last mile" to boost first class status.

I was fortunate to find the Ron Garcias module in the file
section I just added a test and tweaked the code
to be more portable. The documentation page fit nicely
into the serialization documenation ( an important thing
for me) so I was pleased as punch.

Soooo I have no emotional capital invested in including
this or anyother module to perform this function and will
be pleased to substitute any one that gets the official
boost blessing.

Robert Ramey