From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-02 14:21:29

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote in news:200312021902.hB2J2Ri22303
@entwistle.systems.susq.com:

> I've seen you mention this elsewhere, but I don't get it. Adding
> the "d" makes the past tense of the verb, so when you call the
> function, it will have already advanced the iterator, leaving me
> to wonder what the call actually does. IOW, how does temporal
> mechanics fit with advancing by some number of steps? ;-) (My
> point is that adding the "d" doesn't connote advancing by some
> number of steps.)

advance is an imperativ, a command, and indicates it will change the state
of the passed iterator. advanceD describes the state of what is returned,
a different iterator to the one passed.

That said, I prefer the idea of overloading next and prior. <g>

AlisdairM