From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-10 13:52:36

David Abrahams wrote:

>My point is that it gets used in lots of other contexts than deduced
>ones. I use it all over my code anytime vc6/7 or BCC complain about a
>legal use of typename, which happens in all sorts of places. I use it
>because it's more convenient than trying to come up with something
>that is set in exactly the same circumstances.

Makes sense.

> >>( this might be another reason to write template<class T> ;-> )
> >
> > Here would be a good use for a BOOST_TYPENAME, that becomes typename
> > for compilers that support it, and class for those that don't.
>
>Sorry, but AFAICT that would be silly. All compilers support
>"typename" in that context.

I withdraw that suggestion. I was going on the belief that there were older
compilers out there that do not support typename in this context that are
supported by Boost.

Also, BOOST_TYPENAME will make more sense (and is easier to type!) to be
used in place of typename in non-template argument contexts.

Regards,
Reece H Dunn