From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-16 07:48:00

There is a discussion going on now on the C++ committee's library
reflector, summed up by Pete Becker:

> Yes, there is a general need for displaying an ordered set (in the
> broadest sense) of things, whether we call that set a pair, a tuple, a
> container, a complex number, or whatever.

Discussion included ways of providing user customizable formatting for such
display.

This strikes me as the same problem as the much discussed (on Boost) issue
of user-customizable serialization formats.

I wonder what those who have been following Robert Ramey's serialization
proposal closely think? Could one mechanism solve both serialization and
display needs?

--Beman