From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 07:23:41

Michael Glassford wrote:
> I believe Bill Kempf's original vision for the Boost.Thread library was
> to implement low-level "plumbing" first, then to implement higher-level
> abstractions such as mentioned in the above link using the lower level
> code. I agree with this approach. I'm pretty certain that, in his mind,
> the Boost.Thread library is still the low-level plumbing stage, and that
> he wanted to get that firmly in place before spending a lot of time on
> designing or implementing higher-level layer or layers. I'll likely
> follow a similar course.

There is (in the sandbox) FSM (finite state machine) library which,
IIRC, doesn't yet support threaded objects, but the plan was to add this
support. It may be worth looking at this library when considering
higher level techniques to add to the library.

(Nearly all our code is implemented as statemachines, each running in
its own thread, and communicate via message queues, so I am very
interested in similar implementations).

Cheers

Russell