From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 13:13:04

Bronek Kozicki <brok_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I do not quite understand while boost build results in directory tree
> similar to:
>
> boost_regex.dll
> libboost_regex.lib
> boost_regex.dll\mingw
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\release
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-multi
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-multi
>
> Here we have multi-threaded version of library being sub-directory of
> single threaded, if I understand it correctly.

No, nothing should be built directly into boost_regex.dll\mingw. The
default value of the feature for each variant built does not go in the
path. The idea is to keep paths reasonably short.

> I think it's more natural
> to make them siblings, ie:
>
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-multi
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-single
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-multi
> boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-single

Maybe, but if we did that with every feature paths would be
impossibly long.

> Things are even more funny with static libraries:
>
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\runtime-link-static
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\threading-multi
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\runtime-link-static\threading-multi
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\runtime-link-static
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\threading-multi
> libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\runtime-link-static\threading-multi
>
> here we have every file twice: content of release directory is identical
> with release\runtime-link-static

There are objects and libs in libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release ??

That sounds like a bug.

Care to take this discussion to the jamboost list?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting