From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-16 15:56:41

I do not quite understand while boost build results in directory tree
similar to:

boost_regex.dll
libboost_regex.lib
boost_regex.dll\mingw
boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug
boost_regex.dll\mingw\release
boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-multi
boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-multi

Here we have multi-threaded version of library being sub-directory of
single threaded, if I understand it correctly. I think it's more natural
to make them siblings, ie:

boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-multi
boost_regex.dll\mingw\debug\threading-single
boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-multi
boost_regex.dll\mingw\release\threading-single

Things are even more funny with static libraries:

libboost_regex.lib\mingw
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\runtime-link-static
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\threading-multi
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\debug\runtime-link-static\threading-multi
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\runtime-link-static
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\threading-multi
libboost_regex.lib\mingw\release\runtime-link-static\threading-multi

here we have every file twice: content of release directory is identical
with release\runtime-link-static, content of release\threading-multi is
identical with release\runtime-link-static\threading-multi. The same
goes about debug versions, besides much larger amount of wasted disk
space.

It's not something specific about regex; all other libraries are build
in the same way. Or maybe there's something wrong with command line I
used, ie:
bjam "-sTOOLS=mingw" "-sBUILD=debug release <threading>multi/single
<runtime-link>static/dynamic"

?

Kind regards

B.