From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 13:51:22

David Abrahams wrote:

> Well, OK. It's pretty unusual to have new iterators which can use the
> default policies. And the CRTP does induce some syntax overhead. I
> suppose we could supply an iterator adaptor generator which builds new
> types from policies, for the cases where that works out. In the cases
> where it doesn't, things get mighty ugly.

Rats. I was hoping you'd say, "Use frobozle_iterator_adaptor you dolt,
it's one line of code." ;-)

My experience with the old and new IA library is too limitted to have
any valuable feedback on the design. I'm sure there were excellent
reasons to switch from the policy/generator design to use CRTP.
However, in my use case, it did increase the complexity of my solution.
   And syntax aside, CRTP has greater intellectual overhead than
policies, IMO.

Maybe others can share their experiences or opinions on the utility of
adding back some policies/generators for the simple use cases.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting