From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-17 20:20:22

OK

I went on a 12 mile hike today and calmed down.

I believe I'm the only one working on a library that
might be in boost that actually uses spirit so this
is an issue that only directly affects me. people
working on private projects could just paste the
spirt 1.6 header into their boost header tree.

My personal environment is Win23 with MSVC 7.0
and gcc 3.2. Building/testing my project with both
these systems gives me the confidence that it is portable
to a fairly wide range of environments including those
that are missing a lot of features and those that are
pretty picky about correct code. I am happy with
the results so far of this strategy.

I will

a) download spirit 1.6 into a separate directory so my
directory structure will look like:

boost-dev
        boost
        lib
                spirt
        tools

spirt1.6
        boost
                spirit

Then I will alter my MSVC environment so that the list
if directories to search for include files is

spirit1.6;boost-dev

This should ensure that that for MSVC 7.0 (and 6.0)
spirt1.6 is used. For gcc compiles, the "standard"
spirt 1.8 should be used. I believe this can be made
to work BUT it requires that spirt 1.8 interface support
everything that spirt 1.6 does. I have to be able to count
on that. It seems that you've indicated that this is the
case so I will proceed to try it.

Assuming this works as I expect, this same explanation
will be included in the release notes for those users of
non-conforming compilers.

Of course I'm not extatic about this but

a) its not that bad,
b) it will get better with time and disappear in a graceful way,
c) and most importantly, there doesn't seem to be any better alternative.

Robert Ramey