From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-18 01:17:13

Robert Ramey wrote:

> OK
>
> I went on a 12 mile hike today and calmed down.

Cool! I should do that sometime ;)

> This should ensure that that for MSVC 7.0 (and 6.0)
> spirt1.6 is used. For gcc compiles, the "standard"
> spirt 1.8 should be used. I believe this can be made
> to work BUT it requires that spirt 1.8 interface support
> everything that spirt 1.6 does. I have to be able to count
> on that. It seems that you've indicated that this is the
> case so I will proceed to try it.

1.8.0 should be fully backward compatible with 1.6.x.
If not, then I might have missed something. If I did,
tell me ASAP so I can correct it at once.

> c) and most importantly, there doesn't seem to be any better alternative.

Actually, there is: bundle 1.6.x instead of 1.8.0 with boost
1.31. For a minute, I actually considered this. However,
doing so will only shift the problem into the future. I think
it's better to deal with the pain now and be emancipated in
the future :-)

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

--