From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-29 14:31:45

At 12:20 PM 12/27/2003, Robert Ramey wrote:
>I built and ran "inspect" on my environment.
>
>I ran it from the BOOST_ROOT directory per instructions
>
>and it worked as intended.
>
>and that's my problem. I was interested in using inspect
>to check out a new library. When ran inspect, I found
>it was dependent upon CVS files being included in
>the source directories.
>
>I think it would much more useful if:
>
>a) it didn't have to be run from the root directory.
>b) if a) is not possible, it would be helpful to be able
>to specify a library name in the command line
>c) if it just walked the directory rather than depending
>on CVS data.
>
>In this way, libraries could be "inspected" prior to submission
>for review and inspect would be a useful tool in library
>developement.

Originally the program did just scan all files and directories, beginning
with the initial directory. That caused problems when run in Boost working
copies with a lot of cruft from past tests, etc.

However, you have a good point about wanting to use it in a non-cvs
directory hierarchy.

I've modified inspect to default to scan almost all files and directories.
If the first argument is "-cvs", however, the CVS tree will be walked as is
now the case.

Also, if the first argument is "-help", inspect will now display usage
information, including a list of all options currently available.

There may be some problems when running without the "-cvs" argument when
the starting directory is something other than the Boost root. For example,
files may be reported as unlinked when in fact they are linked to from
elsewhere in the Boost directory tree.

Please let me know of any problems encountered.

Thanks,

--Beman