From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-04 00:38:50

Dan W. wrote:

> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>
>>> No, the contracts cannot be in the object file. How would your linker be
>>> able to remove them when building your final app?
>>
>> A assumed that a linker that can remove unused code and that can optimize
>> could somehow also
>> keep track of otherr types of code.
>> But you're right, I don't know for sure.
>

> To be honest I'm not 100% sure either, but close to it... that a typical
> linker will remove fat from your .obj, but not from a .lib; --but I
> could be wrong.

The typical linker will only include the code, including dependent code, only
for externally visible symbols, regardless of its origin. And depending on the
type of loader support the loader can do the equivalent at load time (load
only what is needed/used). *But* most developers use the linker in an "export
everything" mode.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything