From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-07 12:47:40

At 10:31 AM 1/7/2004, Carl, Carl Svensson, Svensson wrote:
Hi,

I'm one of those poor C++ developers who have never used Boost before -
shame on me.
So as the newbie to boost that I am, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of
documentation and code and simply do not know where to start. There are
many libraries and several tools that I know nothing about.

I thought a good start for me to become familiar with the Boost Libraries
and Tools would be to get a Hello World app and its corresponding unit test
built using bjam(?) and then run. Is this the purpose of Boost.Regression
(to automatically build and test the system)? Is there an example which
already does this?

After this bootstrapping of my Hello World system I can then throw in more
and more boost stuff into my learning application.

Will I get a boost while climbing the boost learning curve with that
approach or should I take another path? Advise and pointers to documents
and source code examples to get me started are very much appreciated!

Carl,

Couple of points:

* There is a users list (boost-users_at_[hidden]) which is better
suited to getting started questions that the main Boost developers list.

* Try some of the header-only libraries first, such as smart pointers. The
learning curve is a bit less steep with these, and you can just use your
usual compiler and IDE or build system.

HTH,

--Beman