From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-09 13:03:40

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:07:36 -0500, Nicolas Fleury wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Again, please don't get me wrong. I'm just asking for opinions. Is a
>> single monolithic release a better solution? Is it not a good idea for
>> sub-libraries, such as Spirit, to have its own release cycle? Can't we
>> have both? What are the pros and cons?
> For my part, as a user, I appreciate the current monolithic release, since
> it's a good compromise between stability and frequency.

I put my support behind keeping monolithic releases.

What I would suggest is that the documentation for a sub-library that is
"released" more often should mention this fact and "encourage" the more
adventurous users to use the Boost CVS version of the library. Most
people won't :-)

The alternative is more "sub-point-releases" of Boost (done with a
slightly different approach to the 1.30 series - sub-releases done as gcc
does them - along the same branch). There are downsides to this: both
mainline and branch will need the new "sub-library" to be added, and, of
course, somebody has to put the release together (clearly a non-trivial
task given the effort just put into 1.31 with regards to release stuff).

phil

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email