From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-10 08:45:44

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> writes:

> http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/more/separate_compilation.html#auto-link
>>
>> mentions BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB, BOOST_WHATEVER_NO_LIB,
>> BOOST_WHATEVER_SOURCE, BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK, BOOST_WHATEVER_DYN_LINK
>>
>> Did I miss something? I don't understand where all these symbols come
>> from. Is there a boost standard that they're defined? Shouldn't a
>> request for static or dynamic libsq be done by requesting the "lib" or
>> "dll" targets on the bjam command-line?
>
> Those are the suggested names that libraries should use for selecting:
>
> 1) whether the library will be auto-linked or not not.
> 2) whether the library will be linked as a dll or static lib.

Well there are 5 names there and you only listed two purposes above, so I
think more explanation is listed before I'll feel comfortable with the
design.

> The bjam command line is insufficient for the purpose because:
>
> * End users will probably be using their IDE, not bjam to build their
> projects.

We'll see about that ;-)

> * bjam doesn't tell the lib source whether to mangle symbols with
> __declspec(dllimport) or whatever.

Understood. I have just such a PP symbol for Boost.Python.

> Having said all that, those macros should be documented under "User Settable
> Macros" in the config docs and they're not (I forgot), I'll do that now.

In the config docs, really? Well OK, I'll have to give that a
looksee, but it surprises me.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting