From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-12 01:44:07

Dan W. wrote:

> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>
>> At least at Intel platforms assert() is nothing more, than a fancy
>> wrapper
>> for asm 3 (at least for VC7.1)! And as for __LINE__ and __FILE__ - it's a
>> matter of taste, if you want them to be included or not. I like to
>> have this
>> info.
>

> That's funny. I used to use VC6.0 sp5, and I found assert() totally

you should have also tryied MFC's ASSERT. It's much better.
> useless: It would ask me whether I wanted to terminate the program or
> continue running, and if I said to continue running, it didn't even give
> me a chance to look at the variables, or single step, it would literally
> continue running.
>
> Now I'm using Digital Mars, and I hadn't even bother trying assert(),
> but I just did to make sure I wasn't crazy, and it just terminated the
> debugging session at once, even closed the console window for me. How
> thoughtful!

This is one of the main reasons I started developing SMART_ASSERT.

As for the fact that you want your debugger to stop, you can code this,
and plug it into the SMART_ASSERT library.
By default, it calls break_on_debugger(), which is as portable as I know.
If you know how to implement it on other compilers/platforms, please
let me know and I'll do it.

Best,
John