From: Deane Yang (deane_yang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-20 15:33:52

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> Or is it only relative or differences which can be negative?

That's right! Remember, even an absolute length (like the length of a
pencil) also can only be positive. It's only relative length (or
displacement) that can be negative.

> On the one hand enforcing the absolute versus relative distinction sounds good,
> but I wonder if, in practice, it will cause so much trouble that the users
> despair?

Again, I agree with everyone (you, Andy, Phil, etc.) that the dimensions
library should focus on doing relative quantities right and ignore
absolute quanitites. I believe that someone (Jan?) did appear to
implement absolute quantities correctly, and it's an easy thing to
add to anyone's library at a later date. But relative quantities are
enough of a challenge for now.