From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-22 10:01:24

At 04:11 AM 1/22/2004, Andy Little wrote:

>I am writing a library with hopes that it may, one day, become part of
>boost. Whether it ever makes it to the main libraries or not it would be
>nice to fit it in to the boost namespace system. Should I grab a boost
>sub-namespace e.g boost::my_whacky_library or should I avoid the boost
>namespace entirely? I feel a bit 'cheeky' using the boost namespace for
>something that is not 'officially' boost. Is there any policy on this?
>
>In some ways 'boost' is like 'std'... boost is even mentioned in Lois
>Goldthwaites intro to the Wiley version of the standard.

Good question.

It makes it easier for Boost discussions and experimental use if such a
library is placed in boost::my_whacky_library right from the start.

OTOH, I'd hate to see you distributing a library outside of Boost that uses
namespace boost, and thus implies it is a part of Boost.

So I'd say the decision should be based on what your initial distribution
is planned to be. If it is only for discussion among Boosters, put it in
boost::my_whacky_library. If you decide to later make it publicly available
outside of boost, then please change the "boost" namespace to something
else.

Does that make sense?

--Beman