From: Sean Kelly (sean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-23 13:58:35

Roland wrote:

> (Sean Kelly <sean_at_[hidden]>) wrote:
>
>>Forgive me for coming into this a bit late. Is the goal here to build
>>hooks into the thread library to make it useful for network programming or
>>to develop the framework for a network library that builds off of the
>>thread library?
>
> I was thinking about hooks that make it more usable for any IO, not
> only network programming. I am thinking about linking kernel-level
> signalling or select to condvar (signalling).

So I finally got my hands on the DDJ issue in question. The article on
multiplexing does give me some ideas on how to revise my own IOCP
library, which is something I had been putting it off until I found time
to learn how /dev/poll worked. I've got a lot going on so it may be a
few weeks but I'll post something here when I've got it finished.

I'm not sure that much if anything would need to be done to provide
support for IO multiplexing in Boost. Both methods rely on the
existence of a thread pool. Each thread waits on a blocking call and
then operates on the data returned. This can all be done right now
without any modifications to the Boost code. I guess the question
becomes, is there a need for such an IO library in Boost? The nature of
the project would demand a good bit of custom code for each platform,
which isn't typical of Boost components.

Sean