From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-26 19:46:05

At 09:52 PM 1/25/2004, Gustavo Guerra wrote:

>The documentation of the boost filesystem library states that all
opertions

>on 'path's leave them in the canonical form.
>I just run in a subtle bug in my code because complete doesn't do that. I

>have to manually call normalize after it.
>What I'm saying makes sense, or am I getting something wrong? (I started
>using filesystem only recently)

There was a recent change in the library. Canonical form used to include
reduction of ".." elements, but that caused unexpected behavior w.r.t.
symbolic links, so canonical form was changed. As you discovered, member
function normalized() removes unneeded ".." elements.

The docs were updated at the time, but it is possible something was missed.
If you think you've found a problem with the current CVS docs, please post
a reply noting exactly where the error lies.

Thanks,

--Beman