From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-26 20:02:38

Gustavo,

>Why does branch_path return path("") with simple paths like "file.ext"?
>Would'nt it make more sense to return path(".")? ...

My initial reaction is that you are correct for the reasons you give; "."
would be better than "".

It is too late to make a change for the 1.31.0 release, but I've added it
to the list of stuff to be dealt with as soon as 1.31.0 goes out the door.

I've got yellow post-it notes stuck all over one of my monitors with
pending filesystem changes:

   * path comparison
   * path equivalence
   * resolution cygwin vs cygwin vs mingw vs cygming problem
   * switch Win32 imp to wide Windows internal API, and throw on slice
   * finish & post, wide-character paths proposal, moderate resulting
battle.
   * branch_path() behavior: should return "." instead of ""

Thanks,

--Beman