From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-29 13:42:21

Michael Glassford wrote:
> Roland wrote:
>> I like to restate the question, and also would offer to spend
>> some of my time for helping in maintainance of the
>> thread library.
>
> As I have already done also. Since then I've been familiarizing
myself
> with the parts of the Boost.Thread library I hadn't used yet,
tracking
> down discussions that would help me understand the decisions that
were
> made in the current version of the library, and looking at changes
> that have already been added to thread_dev branch in CVS.
>
> As I mentioned offlist to Roland this morning, I'm hoping after the
> 1.31.0 release happens to start moving newer Boost.Thread code that
> already exists in the thread_dev branch to the main branch,
eventually
> including improved versions of new classes that exist there (such as
> the read-write lock stuff) and maybe a couple submissions of my own
> and others. At the same time I would hope to include fixes of any
> known problems that haven't already been fixed in the thread_dev
> branch.
>
> It's worth mentioning that, as I'm not the owner or official
> maintainer of the library, the approach I was hoping to take in
doing
> these things was first to discuss any significant proposed changes
on
> this list, then actually commit them to CVS only after consensus was
> reached.

I meant to add that, for my part, your help or anyone else's is very
welcome: as I've mentioned before, the time I can spend on the
Boost.Thread library is pretty limited. Also, my knowledge of the
pthreads and Macintosh implementations is extremely limited, so I
would require help with those in any case.

Mike